Fear and blankets

Yesterday, I read there were 8,000 dead in NYC so far. Conservatives still believe it's largely being overblown, that the economy should come first.

Here in Canada, we began to shut down several weeks before the US did in terms of cases/numbers of dead, and now as we've flattened the curve somewhat and ICUs aren't filling up, conservatives are angry we did anything at all.

It's all so frustrating.

All of us keep wondering aloud how this historic time will be looked back upon. I just keep hoping there will be anyone to look back on it at all.

So, there's a sample of how bleak a lot of are feeling right now! :D

Ben and I are lucky. We have a tiny apartment, we began stocking it full of food in January (just in case anyone tries to say no one "knew" about it in January, we did, and so did many others -- this could have been slowed down hard by governments), we don't have a ton of bleach or rubbing alcohol, but who does right now? We make it last. We have two precious boxes of vinyl gloves, we use them as sparingly as possible, almost never wearing two at once and doing most things out of the house one-handed. We have no idea when or if there will be more to come. But we also have one pair of rubber cleaning gloves from Chinatown that I bought for yarn dyeing. So, if need be, we can employ those as well. One for each of us.

The worst of this so far has been the fear, and the boredom. And not letting the fear take over in the face of the boredom.

Ben bought a bunch of board games. I've been trying to play them with him even though I hate them. The boredom is such that any divergence from "normal" activities is kind of nice, even if you don't particularly enjoy the activity.

Yesterday, I got a bunch of yarn. Ten skeins of superwash fingering to dye, and a billion shades of acrylic to make a rainbow granny square blanket. I'm excited about it. Blankets are the thing I'm most interested in right now. They're both mindless and they take AGES to finish, so I don't have to worry about finding something new to make, or doing any finishing. Making decisions about small, inconsequential things can be extraordinarily difficult right now. No one's brains are really working that way.

Keeping decision making low is nice.

I'm working right now on a blanket made from scraps of hand dyed fingering weight wool. It's the Granny Stripe blanket from Attic24 and it involves tons of color changes, which keeps my interest even as the actual crochet is fairly monotonous.

We're running out of things to watch on TV. Yesterday, we finished Ozark. It was awfully dark, so I'm kind of glad it's over, but also I couldn't bear not to finish it as I wanted to know what came next. Soon we'll finish Schitt's Creek. It's been a nice, much happier, more "normal" distraction. It's such a silly thing, but no TV or movies will be filmed for quite some time, so we won't get more of anything for ages.

We'll adjust. It will be fine. Podcasts can still be produced and put out. We can rewatch old favorites.

I'm scared. We're all scared. There's some solidarity in the fear we all own together.

Comments